What Does the USCIS Case Status “Case Transferred” Mean for My VAWA Application?

In a Nutshell

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) case status “Case Was Transferred And A New Office Has Jurisdiction” means that USCIS moved your case to a different service center or field office. The new office will continue processing your case from there. USCIS may choose to transfer your Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) case for several reasons, including staffing shortages or processing delays. Cases may also be transferred if you, the applicant, move and are now in a new jurisdiction. If USCIS transfers your case, it will notify you via your online account and mail you a transfer notice. You don’t need to do anything, but take note that any future additional documentation for your case and any questions you have about your case will need to be directed to the new office.

Written by ImmigrationHelp Team
Written February 8, 2023

My USCIS Case Status Says “Case Transferred.” What Does That Mean for My VAWA Application?

If your USCIS case status says “Case Transferred,” it means that your VAWA application is now being processed at a different service center. This will not affect or change the receipt number that you received when you first submitted your application. You will still use the same receipt number to check your case status. Having your case transferred should also not affect your application’s processing time. In fact, it may even speed it up, but there are no guarantees. 

Usually, you do not have anything to worry about if your application is transferred! It does not indicate that something is wrong with your application. 

You will see this status on your USCIS online account, and usually, you will also receive a notice by mail. This official notice is called a transfer notice. It will explain why your case was transferred and where it is currently located. 

Why Did USCIS Transfer My VAWA Application?

USCIS can transfer your case for a variety of reasons. While not definite, these are the most common reasons why: 

  • Certain service centers may have staffing shortages or a backlog of applications. USCIS may move your application to a center with more availability or staff. However, just because there is a backlog of applications does not mean that USCIS will definitely choose to move your application. 

  • You moved, so USCIS moved your case to a new service center within the jurisdiction of where you live. If you moved, it is important to update USCIS about your new address so it can reach you if necessary. 

  • You mailed your application to the wrong service center. Keep in mind that USCIS can choose to reject your application instead of moving it for you. So it is very important to double-check the address before you mail your initial application. For your VAWA application, check USCIS’ page for Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-360 under “Self-Petitioning Abused Spouse, Child, or Parent.” 

Can I Request a Case Transfer From USCIS?

No, you cannot request for your case to be transferred, even if you notice that certain service centers have shorter processing times than others. However, if you check the typical processing times for your VAWA application and notice your application’s time has far exceeded what is typical, you can contact USCIS. You can also consider seeking the advice of an immigration lawyer to see if they can help. 

What Should I Do if My VAWA Case Gets Transferred to a New Office?

If your VAWA application is transferred, there is not much for you to do except wait. Again, you do not need to worry if your case is transferred! Just make sure to stay on top of your case status updates and notices by mail to see if USCIS needs anything from you. For example, USCIS may need additional evidence from you later in the process. 

Where in the VAWA Application Process Might I See “Case Transferred” as My Status?

You can see “Case Transferred” as your status anytime after you submit Form I-360 and get a receipt notice indicating that USCIS received your application. Until you receive a decision on your VAWA application, USCIS can move your case to a different service center at its discretion. 

How Can I Track USCIS Case Status Changes?

It’s essential to stay up to date on your USCIS case status. At any point, USCIS may need you to take action or provide more information. Although “Case Transferred” does not require you to do anything, in the future, you may need to. Usually, in addition to your case status changing, USCIS will send you a notice by mail that will provide more details. 

You can check your case status on your USCIS online account anytime by entering in your original receipt number USCIS sent when you first received your application.