Our nonprofit can help you prepare your immigration paperwork for free
The US government is only granting DACA renewals, but you can still submit a new DACA application to hold your place in line.

How To Complete Your Address History on a DACA Application

ImmigrationHelp.org is a nonprofit that helps you prepare your immigration forms for free. Think TurboTax for Immigration. Get free immigration guides, news, and expert support without the high cost of an immigration lawyer. Featured in the Boston Globe, Forbes, and Telemundo, and funded by organizations like Harvard University. Check out our free tool.

Key Takeaways

It is common for a lot of immigrants to the United States to have moved around and changed addresses quite a bit. Most U.S. immigration applications will ask for your address history as an applicant. The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) application is no different. On your DACA forms, you will need to provide your address history to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). This article explains what address history the DACA forms ask for, how to find old address information, what happens if your address history is incomplete on your DACA forms, and what supporting documents should accompany your DACA application.

Table of Contents

What address history is required on a DACA application?

Form I-821D asks for every address you have physically lived at since you came to the United States. For first-time Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) applicants, this includes your current address and all previous addresses you’ve held in the United States. It does not include mailing addresses, so if your mailing address is separate from your physical address, make sure to only report the physical address on your forms.

For DACA renewal applications, only report new addresses since your last approval. You’ll need to remember the dates when you lived at and left each address. You should never leave a date question blank. If you don’t know the exact dates, provide approximate dates. To the best of your ability, leave no gaps in your address history. You should list your address history in order of most recent to least recent. If you provide any approximate dates, you should explain why on your forms. 

Remember that you must have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present to qualify for DACA. You must also have been in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time you make your request for DACA status. Form I-821D will ask you to report any of your absences from the United States.

For more information, see U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ (USCIS’s) filing guide for Form I-821D. You can also learn more about the application process in our article on how to apply for DACA.

How can I find my old address information to complete my DACA application?

If you’re struggling to remember old addresses, here are a few ideas to help you with your address history search.

You should first locate any old housing documents or mailings. For example, you can look for lease agreements, eviction records, and address-change confirmations. You should also look for old physical mailings.

You may also check your free credit report online to review your addresses by credit accounts. AnnualCreditReport.com is a useful tool that provides credit reports from three different credit bureaus. But, note that these reports don’t provide date ranges.

Another option is to search for old purchase receipts. You can use the contact information on these receipts to determine any change of address.

You can also try looking for old medical records, school files, financial statements, and work contracts.

Keep in mind that you shouldn’t leave any address history gaps. Suppose you left an address on January 1 and moved to a new address on January 3. You must still account for your whereabouts on January 2. You must also have no overlaps in the dates you provide - multiple addresses can’t list the same dates.

If you moved into a new home before your last lease ended, you should explain the gap on your forms.

You might have a longer address history gap if you temporarily resided abroad. Perhaps you traveled outside of the U.S. to visit family. You might not have held a U.S. address during your visit. In this case, you must include the foreign address you stayed at in your address history.

What happens if I can't provide complete address history information?

You should complete your address history to the best of your ability. Instead of leaving any gaps, you should always try to search for your old address history. If you still can’t locate these records, make sure to explain your gaps to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If you can’t provide complete information, you can expect one of the following outcomes: 

  1. USCIS may deny your application.
  2. USCIS may accept your address history without question.
  3. USCIS may send you a Request for Evidence (RFE) to update your address history.

ImmigrationHelp.org can help you figure out if you’ve entered sufficient address history information on your DACA form.

What evidence can I provide to support my address history?

In addition to entering your address information on your forms, you’ll need to prove your address history with supporting documents. Your supporting documents should confirm that you’ve lived in the United States since June 15, 2007. Supporting documents should also confirm that you were in the United States on June 15, 2012.

Make sure that all information on your supporting documents is consistent with your Form I-821D. For DACA renewal applications, you won’t need to re-submit documents you already included on previous applications.

You can submit lease agreements, credit card bills, order receipts, or other old documents to confirm your address history. You should submit document copies instead of original documents. USCIS may not immediately return your supporting documents.

For more help, check out our guide to supporting documents for DACA applications.


Completing your Form I-821D application address history can be complicated, but working with a good immigration attorney can make it easier. If you can't afford the attorney fees and don't want to handle your Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) case alone, we may be able to help. If you are eligible, our free web app will walk you through the process and help you prepare and file your application with the U.S. government. Click "Get Started" to see how we can help make your American dream come true!

Would you like free help preparing your immigration paperwork?
Get Free Help

Latest Articles