Our nonprofit can help you prepare your immigration paperwork for free
The US government is only granting DACA renewals, but you can still submit a new DACA application to hold your place in line.

How to Apply for a U.S. Passport

ImmigrationHelp.org is a nonprofit that helps you prepare your immigration forms for free. Think TurboTax for Immigration. Get free immigration guides, news, and expert support without the high cost of an immigration lawyer. Featured in the Boston Globe, Forbes, and Telemundo, and funded by organizations like Harvard University. Check out our free tool.
October 29, 2021

Key Takeaways

If you recently became a U.S. citizen, congratulations! You are now eligible to apply for a U.S. passport. The U.S. passport process is very straightforward, and passport applications are processed much quicker than the other immigration applications you’ve been used to. This article is a step-by-step guide to the application process for a U.S. passport if you’re applying for the first time.

Table of Contents

Who can apply for a U.S. passport?

You can apply for a U.S. passport if you are a U.S. citizen, either by birth or naturalization, or a qualifying U.S. national

If at least one of these criteria applies, you need to apply in person using Form DS-11: 

  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport 
  • You are younger than age sixteen
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were younger than age sixteen 
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • The U.S. Department of State issued your previous U.S. passport more than 15 years ago 

If you don’t fall under any of these eligibility requirements, you can submit a passport renewal application.

How to apply for a U.S. passport: A Step-by-Step Guide

To complete a U.S. passport application, you need to fill out Form DS-11, gather supporting documents, pay the fee, and submit the form. 

Step 1: Complete DS-11

First, download Form DS-11 from the Department of State’s website. Ensure you use the DS-11 application if you are a first-time applicant because applicants for passport renewal use the separate Form DS-82. Note that you will have to provide a social security number on Form DS-11. 

Step 2: Gather supporting documents

To receive a new passport, you need to present original identification documents in person at a passport acceptance facility. When you mail in the application, to provide evidence of U.S. citizenship, you will also need to attach a photocopy of one of these documents: 

  • U.S. birth certificate
  • Consular report of birth abroad or certification of birth
  • Certificate of naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship 

A certified copy of a document should have the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority. For the photocopy, provide a photocopy of the front and back of the certified citizenship documents you gather. These photocopies should be clear, in black and white on white, single-sided 8.5x11 paper. 

You also need to provide proof of identity through presenting an original and submitting a photocopy of one of these documents: 

  • Government-issued identification documents (such as a valid driver’s license or photo I.D.) 
  • Military identification; federal, state, or city government employee identification
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship 

In addition, you will need to submit a recent passport photo in color that is 2x2 inches in size. 

What if you lost original citizenship documents?

If you lost your original proof of U.S. citizenship, you will need to replace them before applying for a U.S. passport. 

  • U.S. Birth Certificate - You can generally contact the county or local government where you were born. A local government agency, such as a county clerk, will process your request. Fees and processing times may vary. 
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) or certification of birth - Generally, you would get a CRBA soon after birth. You can request a replacement through the U.S. Department of State. It will cost $50, and the process may take four to eight weeks. 
  • Certificate of naturalization or certificate of citizenship - You need to file the application form for a replacement, Form N-565. The application fee is $555, and you may have to wait six to twelve months. 

Step 3: Find out the passport fee

Passport fees differ depending on the applicant’s age. The passport fee includes two separate costs - an application fee and an execution fee. The execution fee for all ages is $35. 

The application fee depends on whether you want a passport card or book. You can use a passport book for international travel by air, sea, or land. However, you can only use the passport card for land border crossings and seaports of entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. 

For an adult, defined as age sixteen or older, the additional fee for a passport book is $100 and $30 for a passport card. For a child under age sixteen, a passport book’s application fee is $80, and a passport card costs $15. 

Step 4: Submit DS-11

You have to apply for a U.S. passport in person and show your documents to an acceptance agent. If you are inside the United States, you can submit Form DS-11 along with your supporting documents and fees at a passport acceptance facility. Generally, these passport agency locations include post offices, public libraries, and other sites. Different locations will accept various forms of payment, such as credit card or money orders, so check ahead. 

Try to make an appointment well before any travel plans because routine services can take up to sixteen weeks from when you submit the passport issuance application. For expedited services for an additional $60, it can take up to twelve weeks. 

If you are outside of the United States, you may be able to submit your forms at a U.S. embassy or consulate. Each location will have different guidelines and hours regarding passport services.


You can apply for a U.S. passport if you work with a good immigration attorney to file a citizenship application. If you are hoping to naturalize as a U.S. citizen but can't afford the attorney fees and don't want to handle your naturalization case alone, we may be able to help. If you are eligible, our free web app will walk you through the process and help you prepare and file your application with the U.S. government. Click "Get Started" to see how we can help make your American dream come true!

Would you like free help preparing your immigration paperwork?
Get Free Help

Latest Articles